02 January 2013

My Secret Country


Early season skiing in Idaho--early, as in before Christmas--is not often good. This year it's good. The extended autumn, the warmer than average November temperatures, the deluge of rain the first couple weeks of December, created a rain-snow line that looked more like the Andes than the Rocky Mountains. Up to four feet of snow dumped in the high country while the valley floors remained clear. This is good news to me and it will continue to be good news until the next series of storms fill up the valley floors and force me to move to paved roads to access my series of secret spots. Until then the trusty Subaru and a set of chains take me wherever I need to go.

Somewhere up there.

 

Somewhere farther away.

 
Somewhere between desert and sky.

 
Between white and blue and touches of green.

 
As high as two skis will take you up.

 
As far as two skis will take you down.

 
Api? Oui, api.

 
This is my country, this is my mind.
Imagine that all of your sorrows
have left you behind.





No comments: