10 July 2008

Go Die Big City





Tinker Mason hated cities. You’d just name any city and Tinker’d hate it for ya. Now, Tinker not only hated cities, but if he got around somebody that even about liked a city, well, Tinker’d throw a rock at ‘em. And sometimes he’d hit ‘em.



Well, anyway, we all knew that something was wrong in Tinker’s head and we all figured that we ought to do something for him before he hurt somebody and we had to hang him. So, we took up this collection and since there wasn’t no psychiatrist in our part of the world we sent him to a fella named Barton Freud. Now, like I told you, Barton Freud wasn’t no psychiatrist. But he was a chiropractor that did a lot of heavy thinking. Well, sir, Barton worked on Tinker’s head for a couple years and Tinker stopped all that city hating. He was a different man. Fact is, he was so different, when he come home one night his wife shot him for a trespasser. It was a beautiful funeral. And you’d never know by the look on Tinker’s face that he’d ever been a city hater.


Go die big city, go die big town.
You gave me nothing, and that’s what I found.
I shine shoes for pennies, and I hunt easy pain,
‘Cause I know tomorrow it’s gonna rain,
My blood.



Go die big city, go die big town.
Your pool halls are crooked, your dice are all round.
Pig rags in soup lines and I roll drunks for change,
‘Cause I know tomorrow it’s gonna rain,
My blood.



None of these photos are mine but I would like to thank this, this, this, this, and this website for their unknowing contribution to my tribute. In particular, Chileno not only provided the second beautiful photo but is a cool living-in-Chile read as well.

Also, buy, buy, buy albums by the late great Lee Hazlewood. He'll help you breathe easy.



(If you can't see a small, blue square and triangle that resembles a play button, go here and follow directions. Installing this will allow you to read and listen to music at the same time--like a real live multitasker!)

No comments: